The curtain finally fell on India’s biggest Film Festival, MAMI 18th Mumbai Film Festival on Thursday, 27th October, 2016. The closing ceremony took place at Bal Gandharva Rangmandir, Bandra.
Winners under various categories were announced:
- The Golden Gateway Award (Feature) – ‘Hang in There, Kids!’ By Laha Mebow
- The Silver Gateway Award (Feature) – ‘At Eye Level’ by Evi Goldbrunner and Joachim Dollhopf
- Special mention (Feature)– ‘Colours of Innocence’ by Mrinmoy Mondal, Shupratim Bhol.
- The Golden Gateway Award (Short) – ‘A Town Called Panic: Back to School’ by Vincent Patar and Stephane Aubier
- The Silver Gateway Award (Short) – ‘We Make Images’ by Nina Sabnani
- Special Mention (Short)-The Best Sound in the World by Pedro Paulo De Andrade
- The Special Mention for Excellence in Writing on Cinema (Hindi) went to ‘Naye Daur Ka Naya Cinema’ by Priyadarshan.
- The Special Mention for Excellence in Writing on Cinema (English)went to ‘Kanan Devi: The First Superstar of Indian Cinema’ by Mekhala Sengupta
- The Excellence in Writing on Cinema Award (Hindi) went to Anil Bhargava for ‘Bhartiye Cinema ka Itihas’.
- The Jury announced The Excellence in writing on Cinema Award (English) in favour of (film critic and columnist) Jai Arjun Singh for ‘The World of Hrishikesh Mukherjee’.
Festival Director Anupama Chopra along with Stephanie Zacharek, Film Critic – Time Magazine handed over the Young Critics Award to Matthew Vetticad.
- Young Critics Choice Award went to the lovely ‘Cinema Travellers’ by Shirley Abraham and Amit Madhesiya.
Oxfam Award for Best Film on Gender Equality went to ‘Lipstick Under my Burkha’ by Alankrita Shrivastava.
The ‘Mastercard Best India Female Filmmaker 2016 Award’ was won by Konkona Sen Sharma for her terrific debut film ‘A Death in the Gunj’.
Nawazuddin Siddiqui gave away the ‘Audience Choice Award’ to the movie ‘The Salesman’ by Asghar Farhadi.
- The Golden Gateway Award was won by Santosh Ganpat Kamble, Director of ‘Mumbai’s Mahuwa’
- The Silver Gateway Award went to Tabu Kaariya, Director of ‘Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yeh’.
- ‘Bombai’ received The Special Mention (Dimensions Mumbai) Award by Director Yashwardhan Goswami.
- Haobam Paban Kumar received The Golden Gateway Award for ‘Lady of the Lake.’
- The Silver Gateway Award for India Gold went to ‘The Narrow Path’ by Satish Babusenan and Santosh Babusenan
- The Jury Grand Prize went to Aicheng Jai Dohutia for ‘The Hidden Corner.’
- The Special Mention went to ‘Autohead’ by Rohit Mittal.
- The Special Mention went to ‘Cinema Travellers’ by Shirley Abraham and Amit Madhesiya
- David Chou received The Golden Gateway Award for Cambodian drama, ‘Diamond Island’.
- The winner of The Silver Gateway Award for International Competition was Ralitza Petrova for ‘Godless’.
- The Jury Grand Prize went to the movie ‘Everything Else’ by Natalia Almada.
- Special Mention for Political Commitment of the Film went to ‘When Two Worlds Collide’.
- The Special Mention went to Macarena Arias for the film ‘Alba’.
The dates for the 19th Edition of MAMI Film Festival were also announced. The event, next year, will take place between 12th October- 19th October, 2017.
The Festival will be back with the special screening of ‘The La La Land’ on 23rd November, 2016.