1. A dialogue and a song.
“Aisa pehli baar hua hai, satraah athraah saalon me, andekha aanjaana koi, aane laga khayaalon mein.”—Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
“Aisa peli baar hua hai satraah athraah saalon mein, koi aaye jaaye, mere khayaalon mein.”—Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega
2. The scream in Laxmii and Sangharsh.
3. The two giraffes also finally meet in Jagga Jasoos.
4. An interesting fact from Jai Arjun Singh’s blog: Ketan Mehta has made five films that have alliteration in their titles.
- Bhavni Bhavai
- Mirch Masala
- Hero Hiralal
- Maya Memsaab
- Rang Rasiya
6. The ending of Mirch Masala and Padmaavat. More on Padmaavat here.
7. The colors in this scene from Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna: She is dressed in red and green. He is dressed in red and green. He has a bouquet in red and green. A rose is red and green. More on Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna here.
8. Mohsin Akhtar who played a small role in Luck By Chance is Urmila Matondkar’s husband.
9. Some scenes in the trailer of Harami are reminiscent of the ones in Gully Boy.
10. Rich people are nice because of their money. Similar lines in Parasite and The White Tiger.
11. Rats representing Sarika’s fear in Ek Hasina Thi. She has conquered her fear.
How it started: How it ended.
12. Talking of rats, Tu Hai Mera Sunday is a film about people who do not want to be a part of the rat race. Rashid’s room is dirty and messy. A rat is often seen scurrying all over the room. Rashid also dreams of a rat coming out of his ear. He wears a vest that has ‘Rules are meant to be broken’ written on it and meets Tasneem who gives him the contact number for pest control. Finally, in the end, his room is clean and the rat dies, pointing to the changes in his life.
13. In Tu Hai Mera Sunday, Arjun’s niece recites some lines from the poem Leisure by William Henry Davies which talk about having no time to enjoy the beauty around, similar to the film’s theme as well. “What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare. No time to stand beneath the boughs And stare as long as sheep or cows.”
14. “Aisa lagta hai saare jawaab mere saamne hai, lekin mujhe nazar nahi aa rahe hain,” says Suri in Talaash. The answer was actually sitting in front of him. “Koi kab tak dooba rahega, Sahab. Kabhi na kabhi toh tair ke upar aana hi padega,” says Rosie. And, Suri finally comes out from the sea of grief.
Sea of grief
15. Bindu talking about her emotional baggage in Meri Pyari Bindu—”Ab toh main sach me bhaari ho gayi hun.”
16. In Haider’s script, the lyrics of Haider’s performance at his mother’s wedding reception were originally written to be about the story of a king and a queen. In the film, this was shown in Bismil as the story of a falcon and a nightingale.
17. ‘Jaa, jee le apni zindagi’ appears twice in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge.
18. Smita Patil in Gandha.
19. Randeep Hooda did an interesting post on his roles in Mira Nair’s Monsoon Wedding and A Suitable Boy on his Instagram account.
20. A beautiful screenshot from Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baaje.
21. I liked parts of Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare. As seen in the film’s poster as well, Dolly is shown trapped by the use of grills and mirrors.
22. In Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare, a man calls Kitty for sexual gratification and his wife is shown in a state of coma. In Tumhari Sulu, a widower calls Sulu for emotional gratification as her voice reminds him of his dead wife.
Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare
23. Albela starring Bhagwan Dada and Geeta Bali seen in the trailer of Ludo. The song O Beta Ji Kismat Ki Hawa from the same film also appears in the trailer.
24. Similar elements in Anurag Basu’s films.
Barfi, Jagga Jasoos, and Ludo
Barfi and Ludo
Barfi and Ludo
25. In Andhadhun, a photograph is seen near Aakash’s piano. It has Kishore Kumar talking with a woman. I am unable to recognize her. Some friends on Twitter have replied with possible answers. There is a similar picture of Kishore Kumar and Hema Malini on the internet. However, the woman in Andhadhun‘s picture does not seem to be Hema Malini. I guess Sriram Raghavan gave us another Easter egg to figure out.
26. On difficult paths in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and Dear Zindagi.
27. Palat scenes in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and Dil Toh Pagal Hai.
28. Happy Birthday, Shah Rukh Khan. Some of my absolute favorite scenes from Luck By Chance are related to him. In a party, Karan Johar explains to Zafar, “Industry me outsiders aise hi to aate hain. Koi alag tarah ka role likhta hai, bada star nahi karta and finally ek naye ladke ko break mil jata hai. Darr, Baazigar. I mean bahut saare stars ne nahi kahi. Finally, one man did it. Shah Rukh Khan.”
Outsiders in the industry
Never forget your old friends
[Read the author’s work on his blog here]