1. A boring husband takes part in a play to impress his wife in Aaja Nachle and this became a film of its own in Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi.
2. Fantasy turns to reality as seen in Mast and Om Shanti Om.
3. In Gully Boy, Murad and Sky meet for the first time at Social. In Tamasha, Tara meets Ved after years at Social.
4. Lights in Gully Boy.
5. Patterns in Zoya Akhtar’s films and series—Made In Heaven, Gully Boy, and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara.
6. Books In Movies: In Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga, Sweety (Sonam Kapoor) reads Haruki Murakami’s Men Without Women. In her diary, Sweety has written passages from Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island and Anne Frank’s The Diary of a Young Girl.
7. Designer jalebis in Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga and Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani.
8. Regal Cinema in Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi.
9. Ending scenes of First Man and Titanic.
11. Rani in Queen and Tara in Dil Chahta Hai are seen carrying their baggage representing their emotional baggage as well.
[Read more of the author’s work on his blog here]